The Totally Clean Pooper Scooper!™

Cases of dogs poisoned by marijuana rising where drug is legal

Cases of dogs poisoned by marijuana rising where drug is legal

In a recent article by ELLEN CHANDLER The Bulletin,

Cases of dogs poisoned by marijuana rising where drug is legal.
Veterinarians in Oregon say they have seen a serious increase in marijuana toxicity cases, usually in dogs, since recreational use of the drug was legalized. Many of the cases involve edible marijuana products, but a “little, tiny quantity — in some cases maybe a quarter of a gram, a tenth of a gram — can cause severe signs in some animals,” says veterinarian Adam Stone…

…So what to do if a dog gets high? Nitschelm and Stone advise pet owners to call their vet if it is still close to the time of ingestion, and induce vomiting according to the vet’s instructions. Waiting until the full effects of THC kick in means the pet may be too sedate to safely induce vomiting.

Once the toxin is out of the animal, take it immediately to the nearest open vet clinic.

“The typical treatment is inducing vomiting and then you give an anti-nausea medication to keep them from vomiting overnight,” Stone said.

The article also points out that “other common toxins that vets have treated recently include drugs such as ibuprofen, which can cause liver damage, kidney damage, even brain damage, and acetaminophen, which is fatal to cats.

Garlic, onions, grapes, raisins, dark chocolate and macadamia nuts are also toxic to dogs”.

To see how the GoGo Stik works, check out some of our videos below.